Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting back to our roots

Yesterday Mike and I took Annika, Mason and Joshua to our local farmer's market. We bought some apricots, plums, pluots (pronounced plew-ot, they are a crossbreed between a plum and an apricot), and some nectarines from an organic farmer there and then we met an organic dairy farm stand. The people were amazing and their cheeses.... if you haven't tried organic cheese you are missing out. We bought 2 chunks from them as we realized we would actually be using less cheese since their cheese is so much more pungent. We also bought some stuff called Quark. It is a German style cream cheese. We bought the vanilla bean flavor to use with our fruits for a dessert.
Then I found an amazing treasure through a friend (thanks Annette). It is the Tomich farm off of Chestnut Avenue, 6702 Chestnut Avenue to be exact, can you tell I want you to visit, lol. I went there thinking I would get a box of peaches that were seconds, for those of you who don't know what seconds are (I didn't before 2 weeks ago, lol - it is the fruit that is slightly bruised or nicked that is still good to eat but great for preserving, but found out there was a short waiting list (I think everyone else had the same idea as I did). So instead the 2 wonderful ladies there showed me 2 other boxes that were a little more bruised and nicked (I'll call them thirds, since I have no clue what they really are called), I figured I'd take one. The boxes were 20lbs each and I paid my $10 for the 1 box - yes I really did say $10, I was just as shocked that they were so cheap, and took it out to the back of my truck. When I stopped and thought about all the great peach butter and peach jam I could make I turned around and asked for the second box. Mike was surprised to see me with 40 lbs of peaches for only $20. I did call them later and took my name off the list but found out that if you call them they will tell you if there is a list and you can get your name on it or have them make you a box even before you get there. BTW these peaches were picked that morning. This morning I did juice a few of the peaches and they were delicious (we did add a couple of the other fruits as well).
Today I will start teaching Mikey and Annika how to make peach butter and jam. I will hopefully get some good pics, I keep forgetting to take pictures so all of you can see, lol.
PS. If anyone wants the number to the Tomich Farm (BTW it's NOT the Tom Tomich farm right off of Greenback, it is the Tomich Farm off of Chestnut and Greenback (I guess 2 brothers split a farm and went in different directions) the number is (916)988-0165, if you want to reserve your box. The ladies said they are getting so many peaches they are having to throw quiet a bit away. Let me know if any of you try it out and what you think :)

No comments: