Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My way chicken parmesan

Dinner has once again come in our household and once again I was stumped on what to make. I had chicken breasts and knew it had to be something with that. I was going to put it in the crockpot, but..... it didn't get there. My friend Annette gave me a great black bean salsa soup and after I told her I had all the ingredients, because I was sure I did, I went to the freezer to grab the frozen black beans that I had in there and they were gone! By that time Mike had told me I needed to grab Bran from school at 4:30 and after 30 minutes of searching for him he finally appeared from practicing with his friend Vinni for the talent show. So with all that said and done I had 5 very hungry kids getting home at 5:30 and I needed something quick. So of course I thought of spaghetti, quick, simple and no prep, gotta love that. But Brandon sighed and started asking if we had any meatballs. So once again I went to the freezer to see if we had meatballs or ground turkey and once again I came up empty handed. And then I saw the chicken breast. So this recipe is my simple try at a somewhat healthier and yet easy chicken Parmesan.
1lb Chicken breast
about 1 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons or so of Spike
3 tablespoons or so of Parmesan cheese (I just used the jar stuff, cause that is what we had, lol)
1 egg
splash of milk (I didn't have this but I think it would be a nice addition, lol)
1) Get out 2 dishes with edges (plates will work fine if they have higher edges)
2) Pour your bread crumbs, spike and Parmesan onto one plate - set closest to the stove - do not get it so close that it catches on fire ;)
3) On the second plate put your egg and splash of milk and mix till it looks like an uncooked scrambled egg - put this plate just to the side of the other one
4) On a cutting board cut your chicken breast into a little bit bigger than bite sized pieces - put this next to the egg
Now you have an easy assembly line with a lot less mess :)
5) Heat up your pan to about medium to medium high depending on your stove. You can spray a little bit of Pam or something to keep it from sticking, I didn't use anything and I didn't have a problem with it, but just in case.
6) Now take as much chicken as will fit in your pan and put it in the egg mixture. Turn it with your hands or tongs and coat all the sides with eggs.
7) Now take your chicken and carefully put it in your bread crumb mixture and once again coat it on all sides.
8) Put your coated chicken on your hot pan and cook till nice and golden. Turn your chicken after about 2-3 minutes or till cooked on that one side. Continue to rotate your chicken so all the sides get nice and brown.
Because I did not use oil it did not get a real crunchy crispy crust but it was a great flavor.
Serve on top of some spaghetti noodles and sauce. Eat and enjoy.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chaddie said...

Mmmm... sounds yummy! I wonder if it would work with potato chips in place of the breadcrumbs. Did you use a red sauce with the pasta?