Saturday, February 14, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy and some chicken :)

Life has been ever chaotic! Brandon has decided that he would like to go to a boarding school that is about 2 hours away. He really likes a few of their extra programs such as photography and a First Responders class. So with all that said we have made a few deals ;) and we will also go down and see what all of us think of it. Not sure if I'm ready to let him go 2 years early, but when he talks about this school you can see his face light up. He has really tried to step up and take a lot more responsibility as well, I know this is inevitable, I am so proud and yet my heart is a bit sad........
On a more lively note, everyone has gotten a cold, poor Annika and Mikey had the stomach bug for about a day as my friend Annette says "stomach bugs pass through your kids sooo fast!" Praise the Lord. We are now at the tale end of the colds and I now have my voice back. What's a mommy without her voice.
Mike also got his test results back.........(that's my drum roll, lol) he passed and now just has to do his paperwork before May then if all is done he can start in August and then our 18 months of school start :)
So onto some chicken!
I found this great website that is all about crockpot meals throughout the year. I have this whole chicken that I bought for about $1 a pound and was going to boil it and make broth and chicken noodle soup, but with everyone sick my attention has been else where. So today I thought I would check out this blog and see if she had anything for whole chickens, which she does! So my older boys (hubby and Bran) decided that rotisserie chicken sounded great, the only problem was I don't have most of the spices she calls for. I guess when you are trying not to make unnecessary purchases spices are the first to go :) So after trying to figure out what to do I remembered my friends Annette and Tara turned me to this new spice called Spike (you can find it at Elliot's off of Greenback-yes I love their store they are so sweet and helpful over there!). So here is the easy recipe:
1 whole chicken defrosted, de-skined (which wasn't bad, just use a sharp knife and have your pulling muscles out), and take out all the inner "stuff" it comes with.
1 yellow onion quartered
a couple cloves of garlic roughly chopped
Spike
Take your whole deskined, defrosted empty chicken place it in the crockpot breast side up. Put your onion and garlic in the inner cavity and a bay leaf if you want. Rub some Spike all over this side of the bird. Flip the bird (carefully so it doesn't fall out of its new home) and rub some Spike all over the other side. Put the lid on and set on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

No comments: